Forum rules
Reminder: Copying another person's art without permission to reproduce their work is a form of art-theft!
Click here to see the full Art Rules!

Not Quite Dogs by Scoinwolf

Artist Scoinwolf [gallery]
Time spent 14 hours, 54 minutes
Drawing sessions 19
49 people like this Log in to vote for this drawing

Versions of this drawing that people have created recently

Not Quite Dogs

Postby Scoinwolf » Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:14 pm

Not Quite Dogs
Main | Nursery | Archive | Store

You enter the adoption shelter, looking around with interest at the large offering of dogs that the owner has. The tags are all written in some language you can't quite place, and the dogs themselves seem a little .. odd. The owner is there, hovering by the register, a too-sharp-smile fixed on his face, with too-sharp-teeth flashing at you. You can tell he's eager, but for what you don't really want to know.

You smile back hesitantly, watching as his own expression widens in response. Holding back a shiver, you turn back to the kennels, checking out each dog within. There's a wide variety here, ranging from massive beasts to strange little things to - is that an African Wild Dog? No. You shake your head, it looked similar at first but it couldn't possibly be one.

As you continue your wanderings, you realize something with a start. These creatures? They're not quite dogs.

WIP! They're basically going to be my take on a bunch of dog-like cryptids, feel free to suggest any that aren't on the list!

Adopting | OPEN
The shopkeeper stretches at his desk, watching as you approach with your questions. He listens as you inquire about the adoption process and nods along at the end. "So basically you and all the other applicants will throw your hat into the ring for a dog, and then I'll sort through all the forms to see who I think is the best fit. There's no real limit on how many you can apply for at once, and I suppose as long as you have the space for them, there's no real limit to how many you can adopt." He pulls what looks like a store catalogue over. "Each dog comes with a free collar - or harness - something to hold their tags. I'll provide the current proof of vaccination and a name tag, but you'll need to register them with your town afterwards. You can change their accessories all you want after they're yours, just don't change the dog itself." He winks but you stare, wondering how one could go about changing a dog. "Oh, and if you find you can't handle any of my dogs, return them here, okay? Don't hand them off on an unsuspecting stranger."

The Nursery | CURRENTLY CLOSED
You noticed all the dogs here are fully grown and, curious, ask the shopkeeper if he has any puppies for sale. "Puppies?" He laughs. It's a weird laugh. You don't know how to feel about it, let alone respond. "Eh, yeah, every now and then I'll pick up one of those little rascals. You'd be surprised how exceedingly uncommon it is to find any of these dogs before they're fully grown." You think to yourself that you wouldn't exactly call any of his dogs common in the first place, but don't comment. He's giving you a weird look. You wonder if he can read your mind, or if you're just that obvious. "Look, I'll put up a sign when I have any, but as of right now I don't have the proper set up to handle puppies." His voice is still friendly, but you get the distinct feeling that you're being dismissed. You thank him and hurry away.

The Store | VISIT
Outside of the dogs, you notice a section by the register that has a collection of odd items. Glancing around, you don't immediately spot the shopkeeper to ask him about them, and so go over to check out the shelves yourself. You reach out to grab a bottle, wanting to get a better look at the label, but the shopkeeper materializes at your elbow and slaps your wrist. "Ey - those aren't for sale. Yet. Wait until I can figure out how to make it safe for mortals to handle." You back up, spooked, and apologize, but he already lost interest in you and is distracted with paperwork at his desk. Did he just call you a mortal? Was that some sort of power play? Isn't he one as well? Unnerved, you go back to the dogs.

Update: store is now open!
Last edited by Scoinwolf on Wed Oct 19, 2022 8:49 am, edited 12 times in total.
Scoinwolf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Not Quite Dogs

Postby Scoinwolf » Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:14 pm

Currently for Adoption
- adopt | ends

Breeds

Adjule
Description: a pack creature from the Sahara Desert, it is reported to have webbed paws and reddish-skin. Possibly just a strange looking African Wild Dog, rumor has it they use pheromones when hunting to cause a disruption

Lifespan: 8-12 years in the wild, 14-16 years in captivity
Weight: 40-55 lbs (18-25 kg), a "medium" dog
Height: 25-27 in (63.5-68.5 cm) at the shoulder

Andean Wolf | "Hagenbeck's Mountain Dog"
Description: a wolf-like creature from the Andes Mountains, its skull is unusually large and it boasts a magnificent mane. Possibly a mountain variation of the maned wolf? If so, it's rather elusive, only three having been "caught"

Lifespan: 10-12 years in the wild, 15-20 years in captivity
Weight: 120-135 lbs (54.5-61 kg), an "extra large" dog
Height: 39-41 in (99-104 cm) at the shoulder

Axehandle Hound
Description: small but fearsome, they resemble the shape of an axe with short, stubby, little legs. They prey upon the handles of unattended axes from lumberjack camps, often hoarding the handles away to be eaten later

Lifespan: 16-18 years in the wild, 18-24 years in captivity
Weight: 17-19 lbs (7.5-8.5 kg), a "small" dog
Height: 14-15 in (35.5-38 cm) at the shoulder

Grey Dhole | "Myanmar Gray Wild Dog"
Description: dog-ish in appearance, this creature is reported to be found primarily in Myanmar. It's characterized by its short, grey fur, darker muzzle, rounded ears, and thin tail. It comes in both a large and small variation but the shelter seems to only have one size. The shopkeeper won't specify which

Lifespan: 8-12 years in the wild, 14-16 years in captivity
Weight: 24-54 lbs (11-24.5 kg), a "medium" dog?? This doesn't help you tell which size variation he has as much as you hoped, as the majority of the ones he has are 30-44 lbs (13.5-20 kg)
Height: the shopkeeper's are 21-23in (53.5-58.5 cm) at the shoulder

Jiao
Description: a dog-like creature found in 玉山, it's characterized by its leopard-spotted coat, ox-like horns, and signature bark. To see one is representative of tranquility/peace

Lifespan: 8-12 years in the wild, 16-18 years in captivity
Weight: 75-85 lbs (34-38.5 kg), a "large" dog
Height: 24-26 in (61-66 cm) at the shoulder

Salawa | "Sha"
Description: wandering the deserts is this strange beast, with its sloped snout, triangular ears, and forked tail. Associated with the god Set(h), it's often noted as reddish or pure black, but the shopkeeper seems to have a rather broad definition of the color

Lifespan: 12-14 years in the wild, 16-18 years in captivity
Weight: 85-95 lbs (38.5-43 kg), a "large" dog
Height: 35-37 in (89-94 cm) at the shoulder

Coming Soon
- Black Shuck
- Chupacabra
- Church Grim
- Teakettler
- Wucharia
Last edited by Scoinwolf on Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:03 pm, edited 60 times in total.
Scoinwolf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Pets For Days » Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:28 pm

Mark!
Heya, I'm not active on ChickenSmoothie anymore.
I quit the site after the way people treated me & have been in theraphy.
I'm Autistic, shy, and have an anxiety disorder. But I will be keeping this acocunt
so that you can link your stuff to me if needed ❤
so if you see me post It's more likely
goign to end up being on my Toyhou.se
I'mtotallynotcopyiongmybffsmusictrackXD
I worked on Closed Species as an artist.
You may recognize me form Rokthans
Pets For Days

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Scoinwolf » Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:05 pm

images should be fixed^^
Red sky at night, sailor's delight. Red sky in the morning, sailors take warning.
Wayward Bound | Not Quite Dogs
Scoinwolf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby BiscuitTheDog » Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:18 pm

this idea is really cool and I really admire your work scoinwolf :0 i cant wait for the first adopts, its such a unique idea and i hope to see more <3 <3

-not very active but when i am its on oekaki
BiscuitTheDog

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby FerretMonarch » Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:32 am

What about chubacabras? They're known to resemble cyotes.
FerretMonarch

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Scoinwolf » Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:58 pm

Nico Alexi wrote:What about chubacabras? They're known to resemble cyotes.

sure^^
Red sky at night, sailor's delight. Red sky in the morning, sailors take warning.
Scoinwolf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lex. » Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:02 pm

black shuck?
a nice wiry coat would be nice :>

xx
lex // any pronouns // lion lover // 10/21
    What you gonna do when you get out of jail?
    I'm gonna have some fun
    What do you consider fun?
    Fun, natural fun

I'm in heaven
    With my boyfriend, my laughing boyfriend
    There's no beginning and there is no end
    Time isn't present in that dimension

-;; tom tom club

Lex.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Scoinwolf » Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:27 pm

Daisy Mae. wrote:black shuck?
a nice wiry coat would be nice :>

ooo, yes it would
Scoinwolf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ilikefruits » Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:29 pm

Am I allowed to mark?