WHY PEOPLE ARE QUITTING CS- A Discussion

Suggest new features or changes to Chicken Smoothie.

Do you agree with the things said in the main post?

I agree with everything
28%
I agree with more than half
41%
I agree with about half
15%
I agree with less than half
11%
I disagree with all
5%

Total votes : 440

Re: WHY PEOPLE ARE QUITTING CS- A Discussion

Postby answrs » Sat Aug 05, 2023 11:37 am

Mushrööm wrote:
sadbearsplayroom wrote:Woah
I never really realized all this stuff happening
I usually stick to myself on the site and don't mind I don't have any friends because I really enjoy just collecting the silly little pets
Also can somebody tell me more about c$ inflation? That's so weird, I've never heard of it! I mean I don't usually use or have and c$ because I play completely free and I plan to keep it that way but I will find my ways to collect it if there's a store pet I really want
I also feel kinda dumb for not realizing there where any security issues, could someone point me to a place I could read more on that, or tell me about it
I find all this stuff so fascinating honestly
I've seen how people are leaving and quiting but I've really never paid attention to it I guess but this all dose make a lot of sense

Oh yeah forgot about that. Im curious about the c$ inflation situation as well.

personally I'd direct you both to this topic, it explains it better than i could summarize

edit to add:
I'm an 08 user. that cerb in my signature? i had to trade literally everything in my rare trades (dozens of advent list all the way up to a *literal UR tiger dog and MORE*) and still got shot down for "not offering enough". and it's somehow gotten even WORSE, like no wonder people are leaving! these prices are insane and no one that's not rich (either monetarily or in like, FR gems) gonna ever achieve their dream pets so why bother? but nooooo how dare you ask for some sort of intervention to even remotely control the inflation on store pets. they're going for literally two thousand US dollars worth of c$ in some cases.
Last edited by answrs on Sat Aug 05, 2023 11:44 am, edited 3 times in total.
After 11 years of seeking, I finally obtained my all-time dream on October 1, 2020 ;w;

answrs

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby blues clues » Sat Aug 05, 2023 11:38 am

oh yea the c$ system and even list pet worth is all still so confusing to me after years lololol :lol: there's so many different answers for everything

i do love and appreciate the effort the artists put in in creating unique and different pets for us each event and every month!
but the coding is def the main problem of this game, while there's some charm in the older looking website and mannerisms, its been a while since anything major has changed.

i remember logging in and hearing about the new security changes and being super excited!! i'm hopeful for this website and i really do want it to get the upgrades it deserves after this many years. I know Nick/Tess etc have their own lives and def aren't as passionate as they were in former years but i wish they'd gather more people who were to help build this site further. CS is backed by some pretty long-term + new term supporters who I know wouldn't mind going through some test features and bugs if it meant a better and more manageable site long-term.

trades + pms always open
video game + sleep enthusiast
blues clues

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Luaii » Sat Aug 05, 2023 11:39 am

Relatively new player here, I've been finding CS really fun. When I first joined, I immediately got into the trading scene and really enjoyed it. Yes, it can be difficult trading sometimes but I still liked it. The one thing that put me off was people blatantly ignoring my trade rules, even when I only had one. But that's not really something anyone can do anything about.

If I'm honest, the community is what most puts me off from the site. If I were to quit any time soon, it would be as a result of the community itself, not the staff or the site itself. I won't go into detail because I struggle a lot with words.

I will say that you're completely right with the suggestions thing. There are a ton of suggestions and I haven't seen any be really listened to. Same with the coders. Just Nick isn't enough and I'm sure community members would love to volunteer to help out.

One thing I want to say is that please when you're explaining the security issues, don't say CS was hacked. It wasn't. There are absolutely security issues that need to be improved on, but when everything was going on, there was so much misinformation and panic. Other sites were hacked and usernames/passwords from there are sometimes the same as on here.

If I was someone who didn't know about the security situation and someone told me "people were getting hacked," I would think that the site itself was breached because that's what they're saying. I know it's not intentional, but the fact of the matter is that it's misleading.
┌─────────┐

Imagex

└─────────┘
x
x
┌───────────┐

Hi, I'm Lua!
any pronouns
chronically ill
hearing/sight impaired

└───────────┘
x
x
┌─────┐

└─────┘
┌─────────┐

Imagex

└─────────┘
Luaii

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby tiredddd » Sat Aug 05, 2023 11:43 am

Luaii wrote:Relatively new player here, I've been finding CS really fun. When I first joined, I immediately got into the trading scene and really enjoyed it. Yes, it can be difficult trading sometimes but I still liked it. The one thing that put me off was people blatantly ignoring my trade rules, even when I only had one. But that's not really something anyone can do anything about.

If I'm honest, the community is what most puts me off from the site. If I were to quit any time soon, it would be as a result of the community itself, not the staff or the site itself. I won't go into detail because I struggle a lot with words.

I will say that you're completely right with the suggestions thing. There are a ton of suggestions and I haven't seen any be really listened to. Same with the coders. Just Nick isn't enough and I'm sure community members would love to volunteer to help out.

One thing I want to say is that please when you're explaining the security issues, don't say CS was hacked. It wasn't. There are absolutely security issues that need to be improved on, but when everything was going on, there was so much misinformation and panic. Other sites were hacked and usernames/passwords from there are sometimes the same as on here.

If I was someone who didn't know about the security situation and someone told me "people were getting hacked," I would think that the site itself was breached because that's what they're saying. I know it's not intentional, but the fact of the matter is that it's misleading.

Thank you for bringing that to my attention, I realize have that might have sounded misleading now,I’ll be more careful with my wording on how I describe the whole password leak.

xxxxx
xxxxxx
xxxxxxxx
xxxxxx
xxxx
xxxx
Heyyyy, I'm Scrap
tiredddd

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Artemystery » Sat Aug 05, 2023 11:43 am

I'd says I'm a relatively new(ish) player, since 2021, since there's so many things on this site I've never explored or managed to understand.
about new users: the only reason I've joined is because my friend told me about this site and asked me to join, I have never heard of this site before and have never seen anyone talk about it. maybe its location-based, idk.

my favorite part in here is trading, and I STILL don't comprehend list pets (MA?? what is that???)

also, a way to improve the website: in the settings, i chose to make the font large, but it cancels all the other customization to text.
so I cant see bold letters, colors, and sizes. EXCEPT for Trade rules, which is a problem when people's rules are on the small font since i can't SEE. it seems like the setting for accessibility just introduces more problems. i can read better so I won't turn it off, but if anyone uses customization in their text im screwed
Image Image
Artemystery

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby CandyConstellations » Sat Aug 05, 2023 11:46 am

I kinda wish there was a more set rarity set. I feel like it would be easier to get pets we wanted if there was a set system? Ive played for a long time (2014?) And I seriously struggle with the rarity system. Ive read countless threads to try and figure it out but it makes no sense to me. I never even knew there was such a strict system until last year.
CandyConstellations

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Beefy » Sat Aug 05, 2023 11:47 am

Here's my take as a newer player only interested in the pets side.

CS is very friend orientated to an extent. "Paperclipping" doesn't exist without a kind soul willing to overpay by double or triple the value of your terrible pets. If you were to log onto this site in 2009 during halloween, you could get a bunny with one candy corn token. (I did very minor research but I think I'm right.) That same bunny now is worth a MA or 6-9 '09 rares. How can a person with 2023 rares get into the market of '09 rares? The simple answer is by trading down the years 2:1.(2 2023's:1 2022). At this rate, it would only take 16,384 rares from this year to get 1 '09 rare. Even then, people don't like to trade their older rares for newer ones. The way to do it is just not to. I have a couple of '09 rares myself. I think my whole account equals up to 2.5 nons because I have a UR phoenix and almost 2000 other pets worth next to nothing. I only got the UR Phoenix because my gf who started in 2014 has been trading up and down for years and has extra nons to give. She has more fun on this site than me and she always will because unless I get overpay for the phoenix and then lose out on a full chicken collection, I'll never reach that kind of wealth

TL:DR the 2:1 ratio for value of pets by year makes new pets worth nothing and new users have to work really hard. No one follows it anyway because they like to hold on to their older pets.

There is much more to talk about. The issue that made me go dormant the first time was the unwillingness of almost every user to trade a rare down to uncommons (even in bulk most times). But I will focus on what could be done instead.

Solution 1: Rereleases/Pound Rework

As the linked thread mentions points out, there are just too many pets that are so old and rare for 3 boxes to be enough. Personally, I suggest a whole event where full litters are revived. Yes, this would decrease their value significantly, but it would only bring it back to the same value it was when it came out and make the game more interesting for new players whose only interaction with these old pets is seeing them in the archive. Another way to do this is to update the pound. Not mentioning rarity or date, there are just too many pets in the pound. The pound doesn't open enough to cover how many pets are donated. I suggest a full revamp with multiple pulls from the pound or a different system entirely with an opt-in for pound pets and a pet randomly assigned to the opt-ins at random intervals. This would disperse some pets people would think are trash, but they can just donate them back to the pound or trade them to someone who wants them.

Solution 2: A Fresh Start

This wouldn't go over well with old players, but if there were new pets that weren't tradeable with the old pets, the value of those pets would be completely new. Rares would just be rares, commons would be commons. The demand for pets would be based on how cute they are. It would be like the "glory days" that the older players always talk about but for the hundreds of people who have joined since 2017. I am not suggesting a full reset of everyone's pets. I am suggesting making a clone of this site, because who doesn't love the way it looks and feels, with all new pets and a few suggestions implemented in.

TL:DR again: either give newer players a chance at older pets, or start new again so new users can experience what was intended in 2008 without experiencing a complex economy and pet poverty.
Last edited by Beefy on Sat Aug 05, 2023 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
All artwork made by darkspawn <3. Link on picture

Beefy

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Mushrööm » Sat Aug 05, 2023 11:48 am

answrs wrote:
Mushrööm wrote:
sadbearsplayroom wrote:Woah
I never really realized all this stuff happening
I usually stick to myself on the site and don't mind I don't have any friends because I really enjoy just collecting the silly little pets
Also can somebody tell me more about c$ inflation? That's so weird, I've never heard of it! I mean I don't usually use or have and c$ because I play completely free and I plan to keep it that way but I will find my ways to collect it if there's a store pet I really want
I also feel kinda dumb for not realizing there where any security issues, could someone point me to a place I could read more on that, or tell me about it
I find all this stuff so fascinating honestly
I've seen how people are leaving and quiting but I've really never paid attention to it I guess but this all dose make a lot of sense

Oh yeah forgot about that. Im curious about the c$ inflation situation as well.

personally I'd direct you both to this topic, it explains it better than i could summarize

edit to add:
I'm an 08 user. that cerb in my signature? i had to trade literally everything in my rare trades (dozens of advent list all the way up to a *literal UR tiger dog and MORE*) and still got shot down for "not offering enough". and it's somehow gotten even WORSE, like no wonder people are leaving! these prices are insane and no one that's not rich (either monetarily or in like, FR gems) gonna ever achieve their dream pets so why bother? but nooooo how dare you ask for some sort of intervention to even remotely control the inflation on store pets. they're going for literally two thousand US dollars worth of c$ in some cases.

I read the c$ inflation post. Thank you! Wow that is insane.

Mushrööm

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Artemystery » Sat Aug 05, 2023 11:50 am

edit to add:

ive read that forum topic and the main post suggestions are so good! but it was posted in 2021... have there been any updates resembling those ideas?
Image Image
Artemystery

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ghoulls » Sat Aug 05, 2023 11:51 am

Hey, new player here since March 2022. I decided to quit a couple months ago due to a lack of interest and other things but what fully tipped me over was the security issues. I honestly think there needs to be another coder than Nick to help with this website cause 1 person isn’t enough.

It was pretty fun at first but the trading system is a bit odd (like one of the comments said I have no clue what an MA is, or anything else) so it's a little hard to get a grasp on rarities lol.

Overall the website could use a lot more people on the team to help out but I'm not sure if Nick or Tess are willing to do it.
Last edited by Ghoulls on Sat Aug 05, 2023 11:57 am, edited 3 times in total.
❝𝐇𝐨𝐰’𝐝 𝐚 𝐦𝐮𝐩𝐩𝐞𝐭 𝐥𝐢𝐤𝐞 𝐲𝐨𝐮—❞

Ghoul or Graves
Gay trans male - He/Him
Discord: gravestxnes
PS5: GHXULLS
Account for art & ocs
❝𝐏𝐚𝐬𝐬 𝐬𝐞𝐥𝐞𝐜𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧?❞
Ghoulls

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery