WHY PEOPLE ARE QUITTING CS- A Discussion

Suggest new features or changes to Chicken Smoothie.

Do you agree with the things said in the main post?

I agree with everything
28%
I agree with more than half
41%
I agree with about half
15%
I agree with less than half
11%
I disagree with all
5%

Total votes : 440

Re: WHY PEOPLE ARE QUITTING CS- A Discussion

Postby tiredddd » Sat Aug 05, 2023 11:21 am

Mushrööm wrote:Just coming in to mention that the mass hacks died down pretty sure like long ago and the site wasnt hacked it was a different site holding many players passwords that were easy to get into because they were easy passwords. I do wish 2fa was enabled in cs but its up to Nick.

Anyways im neutral on this because I agree with some points on both sides. And im also nuetral because I dont want to start anything and im not good at wording things so ill leave it at that. All I hope is that cs improves more.

I understand this, and staying neutral to the topic, but just because that people aren’t getting attacked at mass, doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen, security updates are needed, seeing as the security system has not been updated in a very long time.

xxxxx
xxxxxx
xxxxxxxx
xxxxxx
xxxx
xxxx
Heyyyy, I'm Scrap
tiredddd

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Mushrööm » Sat Aug 05, 2023 11:24 am

tiredddd wrote:
Mushrööm wrote:Just coming in to mention that the mass hacks died down pretty sure like long ago and the site wasnt hacked it was a different site holding many players passwords that were easy to get into because they were easy passwords. I do wish 2fa was enabled in cs but its up to Nick.

Anyways im neutral on this because I agree with some points on both sides. And im also nuetral because I dont want to start anything and im not good at wording things so ill leave it at that. All I hope is that cs improves more.

I understand this, and staying neutral to the topic, but just because that people aren’t getting attacked at mass, doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen, security updates are needed, seeing as the security system has not been updated in a very long time.

Yeah I know. Thats why I mentioned that I wish that 2fa was enabled. /nbr

Mushrööm

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby blues clues » Sat Aug 05, 2023 11:24 am

after being on this site for so many years i still get people who act rude/harsh when a trade isn't up to their standards. i'm not sure why some act like because of the pets they own they get to treat others trying to trade up like they aren't real people with real emotions! it's definitely hard to make any sort of friends on this site especially with the way adding people is basically one-sided.

i feel like it may help if instead of just adding someone to a list this should be adapted into a 'friend request' sort of method, that way both sides know of being added instead of just the person who added the account. therefore there's a bit more communication between players on the site.

trades + pms always open
video game + sleep enthusiast
blues clues

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby powpowx » Sat Aug 05, 2023 11:25 am

blues clues wrote:after being on this site for so many years i still get people who act rude/harsh when a trade isn't up to their standards. i'm not sure why some act like because of the pets they own they get to treat others trying to trade up like they aren't real people with real emotions! it's definitely hard to make any sort of friends on this site especially with the way adding people is basically one-sided.

i feel like it may help if instead of just adding someone to a list this should be adapted into a 'friend request' sort of method, that way both sides know of being added instead of just the person who added the account. therefore there's a bit more communication between players on the site.

I agree with the friend request thing!
♬ | adult | they/them | genderfluid |
| queer | FR | ♬

powpowx

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby HEXORCISM » Sat Aug 05, 2023 11:29 am

ramattra wrote:it seems like the site is a lot deader in general, though i couldn't say why. i've always been involved in closed species and UMAs on here but the interest and activity in those forums is NOT the same as before. it's really sad. i almost wish they would do some sort of revamp to freshen the site and maybe attract old players back? or bring in new ones?

i can see a huge difference in activity from when i was first really active in 2019 compared to now. even now umas / species feel dead.

i cant find where he said it, but nick doesnt want to update the code behind the scenes. which would make sense if it were relatively up to date -- but this website is almost 20 years old. if things arent directly breaking as a result of that or security issues are not found (which. is unlikely for old software but thats another matter) then at the very least your userbase will get bored of the stagnant nature. sure, we get a uniquely themed summer event each year (which is great! i love the variety in pets compared to say. the constant themes of valentine's and halloween) but,,, thats a week or two out of the entire year. i dont think we need more events per se, but cs really needs a new coat of paint. id rather sit through the possible bugs and maybe the inability to use certain features as theyre upgraded than. sit with what we have for another 10 years.

ive really only been active here for 4 years and i used to play every day! but before yesterday? i hadnt touched the oekaki in about 4 months. i hadnt really even looked at cs for a month or two, and i cant even say its because ive been busy, coming from someone who almost drew on the oekaki daily. i have no university classes over the summer and i dont have a job. the oekaki is imo the most outdated feature. i think the rise in umas contests to cs's outdated nature: people can get twice as much work done in half the time and effort. the biggest species from 2019-2020 (kalons and keldines come to mind) are... well, dead might be a little dramatic and overexaggerated but compared to then? a complete standstill. the only ones i really see going on with steady activity on the oekaki anymore are ones where line edits never happen -- or are so infrequent the clunky nature of the app doesnt make a huge difference to the productivity of the species anyway (we are ignoring chicoons, the spiders georg of our situation). and now?? wermz has afaik surpassed the giant that was kalons in adopts,,, in half or less of the time. i dont know how kalon nursery batch numbering works and frankly i dont care enough to dig through all those images, but in main adopts last i had checked and can remember there are far more wermz now.

on the note about discord: even those feel inactive. i remember there used to be tons of art servers! all i'm in are species ones now and aside from wermz are pretty much completely inactive. i havent seen a cs art discord in a couple years now either. theres really no motivation to visit cs outside of events and maybe the beginning of the month. nothing ever changes. theres only so many palettes and themes you can use before they all start to feel the same regardless, especially since line edits are not common outside of special occasions. and the more people that visit once or twice a month, or leave entirely, magnifies the problem. because now the existing userbase has fewer and fewer people to interact with.

any updates are a rarity, and even then theyre usually very minor. like the dark mode. which last i checked wasnt even finished either but. yknow. i dont use it because the contrast is too high for my eyes so maybe its changed since then. i think the effort needed to be put into the website to keep it going would be well worth the effort. updates could be made much easier for nick, and itll bring more interest back to the website. even if nothing outside of the backend is changed initially, i think it might interest people who have left or have debated it to maybe stick around a little longer, because something is finally changing and whatever comes after might be interesting. but it at the very least shows the site is maintained and cared for. who knows, maybe updating the code might make it easier and safer to bring on extra coders to help nick.
ImagexxxImage
you should totally click them.xxxxxpfp
HEXORCISM

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby sadbearsplayroom » Sat Aug 05, 2023 11:31 am

Woah
I never really realized all this stuff happening
I usually stick to myself on the site and don't mind I don't have any friends because I really enjoy just collecting the silly little pets
Also can somebody tell me more about c$ inflation? That's so weird, I've never heard of it! I mean I don't usually use or have and c$ because I play completely free and I plan to keep it that way but I will find my ways to collect it if there's a store pet I really want
I also feel kinda dumb for not realizing there where any security issues, could someone point me to a place I could read more on that, or tell me about it
I find all this stuff so fascinating honestly
I've seen how people are leaving and quiting but I've really never paid attention to it I guess but this all dose make a lot of sense

Edit- as talked on another post, sense I stick to myself I've definitely had a hard time figuring out trading especially pet worth and c$ worth
And like nobody wants to really explain it
And I also still have some like decently recent pets I want that aren't even rare but I can't convince anybody to trade with me to get one :p I definitely feel like this would be easier if it was easier to make friends here (making friends might not even be a sight thing, I am autistic and struggle with friend making in real life too)
Last edited by sadbearsplayroom on Sat Aug 05, 2023 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
sadbearsplayroom

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Mushrööm » Sat Aug 05, 2023 11:35 am

sadbearsplayroom wrote:Woah
I usually stick to myself on the site and don't mind I don't have any friends because I really enjoy just collecting the silly little pets
Also can somebody tell me more about c$ inflation? That's so weird, I've never heard of it! I mean I don't usually use or have and c$ because I play completely free and I plan to keep it that way but I will find my ways to collect it if there's a store pet I really want
I also feel kinda dumb for not realizing there where any security issues, could someone point me to a place I could read more on that, or tell me about it
I've seen how people are leaving and quiting but I've really never paid attention to it I guess but this all dose make a lot of sense

Oh yeah forgot about that. Im curious about the c$ inflation situation as well.

Mushrööm

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ryugetsu » Sat Aug 05, 2023 11:35 am

I agree with a lot of this. CS has been incredibly stagnant - I'm not sure I've ever actually seen a new feature get added in my 8 years of playing. I only really log in for monthlies and events; I'm not really a forum person, so there isn't any reason for me to stick around until the next pets roll out.

The economy is difficult, but I think it's always been difficult. I've pretty much given up on dreamies. I don't think anyone wants to trade down - not that I blame them, I don't know that I'd want to trade down either - but like, I remember when almost every player had a list or count of players who had gifted them, shoutouts to players who had gifted them dreamies, goals to give and get rares and up, and paperclip challenges. Now I feel like it's so rare to see.

It's true that adding more coders won't be a fix-all, but it would solve some major problems. I wonder if part of the reason for the lack of change is spaghetti code. I wouldn't want to deal with that either, but unfortunately if you want to keep up you have to tackle difficult projects. More transparency from current staff would be nice, too. I feel like I have no idea what they're doing or who even is on the roster currently. Even if it was just a short 'Sorry for the wait, life stuff you know?' it would be better than radio silence.

As far as security goes, 2FA would absolutely be a big help, but also if there's a leak on another site there's only so much they can do over here. For anyone concerned about security, get a password manager and make your passwords unique gobbledygook, and don't reuse passwords. I spent most of today making my passwords randomly generated garbage and saving them in Bitwarden so I don't have to remember them.
Ryugetsu

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Darni » Sat Aug 05, 2023 11:36 am

So the security issue happened like at the last week of June and from what Nick explained on a (now locked) forum he said neopets and sites like that were hacked and the passwords were leaked. Anyone who was using the same password/username here then was effected. Most of the information on the security issue is scattered among forums. The only thing you can find under official announcements is basic security being updated like apparently it didn't alert people when their username / password / email was changed, but now it does. You can also search around the site suggestion forum for locked threads discussing it. Sorry I can't be of more help. :(

As for inflation if anyone wants to understand the magnitude of it- when I did finally start trading the 2023 Lioness from Valentine's day was 35-50 c$. I posted on my trade forum looking for it and most everyone wanted at the very least 35c$ or older rares or store pets. This was my personal experience so some other people's experience may be different.
Last edited by Darni on Sat Aug 05, 2023 11:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Please do not trade with me to add to major hoards"

Darni

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby tiredddd » Sat Aug 05, 2023 11:36 am

heres some info ^^

Forum/viewtopic.php?f=119&t=4663232&hilit=dec+18
Forum/viewtopic.php?f=119&t=4797428
Forum/viewtopic.php?f=119&t=4876199

xxxxx
xxxxxx
xxxxxxxx
xxxxxx
xxxx
xxxx
Heyyyy, I'm Scrap
tiredddd